Thursday, September 6

Wildlife

I know we only moved 14 miles away, but it feels like we are now on the edge of civilization. We moved from the Town Center to a townhouse, on the western edge of our county and just one county over is farm land. The biggest change to me is the wildlife. I am amazed at the animals we have seen right in our own yard. In the 5 months we've been here we have seen in our own yard:

  • a raccoon
  • a baby rabbit many times
  • a frog twice
  • a turtle
  • hummingbirds
  • several butterflies
  • a baby mole
  • bats
  • chipmunks
  • and the usual squirrels and full-grown rabbits
We saw the turtle this morning. The guy loved it and kept calling its back a rock. I am glad to be in a community where animals can live also. Except for the wolf spiders. Did I mention we found a huge wolf spider in our basement?!? Yep. My poor niece found it and thought it was fake. It nearly gave her and me a heart attack. I am good with sharing the yard with wildlife, but not my house. You enter my house uninvited and you are likely to die. Just a friendly warning. But out in the yard, they are super cool. :)

I hope you can sleep tonight. Sorry to say these are very common in our area.

UPDATE! Add to the list of sitings one more turtle visit and a SNAKE! Yikes. 

1 comment:

Lisa & Joel said...

That thing is HUGE! I am soooooo wimpy when it comes to bugs. Eww. :)