Thursday, March 8

Mom O's birthday and quilt

Yesterday was Mom O's birthday. She would have been 52. Too young to be gone. I missed her a lot this week. Luckily she's not too far away.

I have been thinking of her a lot in the last 2 months due to a new textile exhibit at the DC Temple Visitors' Center. I got an email in January about the exhibit accepting original textile creations, like embroidery, tapestry work, hand weaving, needle point and quilting. The theme is Family Ties. Now, of course I thought of the 3 little quilts Mom O helped me create, but more dominating was the thought that I should enter one of her quilts instead. She made an incredible quilt for me and Jared when we got married. A December wedding of course called for red and green. And of course I entered it into the exhibit.

I also entered this quilt that I made, but when decision-making time came it didn't make the cut. Although I am disappointed about that, I can't complain. After all, I did tell the judges I would prefer that if there was not enough room for both quilts that they make sure there is room for hers. I really wanted this exhibit to be a tribute to her. She never would have tried to sell or seek praise for her work; she just wanted to give them away to someone she loved. I decided she deserves some praise for at least this one piece.

So, if you live close to DC and want to see the exhibit and her quilt, come on down! Check out the above link for the Visitors' Center. You will find the hours and address. The exhibit opens TODAY (the day after her birthday) and runs until April 29. See you there!

1 comment:

marsh said...

Amanda, it may not be the DC visitor's center, but we have displayed your beautiful quilt in our home with pride and have had a few comments on how impressive it is, especially for a beginner. I am glad that you were able to honor Ann Marie, knowing that your work will have it's chance for public display someday. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!