Tuesday, December 3

answered prayers

A lengthy cold illness hit our household several weeks ago and I was in the drenches with it. It was a wretched day when my kids were recovering and I just wanted to stay in bed all day. Jared has been beyond busy this semester (a post for another day) so he was gone most of the day, into the evening. That morning over breakfast, I broke down crying and prayed with my kids watching me unravel and ask for help today. Any help. Please.

Fast forward several hours. Dinner is approaching and I can barely feed myself, but I had to figure out how to feed us all. I got up from the chair I hadn't left in a long while, and stood in place to contemplate dinner options. Before I even made it to the fridge, my phone rang. It was Rabiza, my warm and friendly neighbor. She and I talk when we see each other outside, the occasional in-home chat, and when we have business to discuss. But not that often. She just called to see how I was doing and to tell me she was bringing dinner over! WHAT?!? 
"How did you know?" I asked. 
"Know what?
I explained our sickness, my absent husband, my prayer that morning and her amazing answer to it! I cried. Again. It was so touching to have such a good woman answer my prayer to a Good Father and especially with such GOOD food!
Rabiza is Afghany, Muslim, and makes incredible food. That evening we enjoyed "rice with ram," noodle and turnip soup, and fresh warm bread. Oh, thank you Lord and thank you Rabiza. 
It struck as miraculous and motivational that a middle aged, actively Muslim woman is so in tune to the Holy Spirit. She was responding to the Lord's prompting to help me. This is the second time, actually, she has been the direct answer to a very specific prayer of mine. This woman is the real deal. She loves God and follows her understanding of him. In fact, as she left my house her phone alarm went off to remind her it was prayer time. Admiration. 

So, if she can be lead to being a quick and reliable instrument in the Lord's hands, why can't I? Me, who has been given the Gift of the Holy Ghost? 

This incident truly touched me and reminded me how involved and watchful our Father is over ALL of His children. 

2 comments:

Sarah*MK said...

Wonderful and marvelous!

da Mamma said...

Oh Amanda, how wonderful that you live among such great examples of Christ's teachings and actions. I too am grateful for your terrific neighbor, Razira.