Tuesday, January 18

Brigham Young University-Idaho


In honor of my now alma mater: Brigham Young University - Idaho.


I lived in Rexburg for three beautiful years, during which I earned and received my BSW, dated and fell in love with Jared, carried and birthed S, served and grew in leadership positions, and contributed to and lived the legacy of BYU-Idaho. I'm a better person for having loved, learned, and lived in Idaho.

Jared and I have family roots in Idaho. His parents are from Idaho Falls, and some family still lives there. My grandfather is from Preston, and my father earned money (and toned muscles) while moving pipes in the farmlands of Idaho as a young man. While serving as a branch president in Japan, my dad noticed (and later told me) that the most hard working missionaries came from Canada and Idaho. Lucky for me, Jared is part Canadian and part Idahoan.


My degree is the least of treasures I gained while in Rexburg. I could have received a degree anywhere. At this smaller university, I was allowed to lead, teach, mentor and follow. Consequently, I left BYU-Idaho with a diploma AND a full, crisp resume!

However, the love and growth I found came from the phenomenal souls that flock there. I met the dearest, best friends God could have given me. Even those who I may not keep in touch with, modeled a simple way of life that tempered my busyness. Living in a slow-paced, humble town gave me appreciation for both the excitement of my over-scheduled lifestyle, and the health that comes from stress-free simplicity. Just this afternoon, my former Bishop called to see how our travels and relocation went. After listening and recounting the few changes there, he reassured me we would stay in touch.

Above: My visiting teacher, co-counselor, babysitter, neighbor, dear friend, and heroine: Stephanie. Just one of the dozens of friends, leaders and mentors that have changed my life.


Thank you to all the professors, friends, leaders and associates that made my BYU-Idaho/Rexburg experience so outstanding. I miss you and will always remember you.

2 comments:

da Mamma said...

Thank you Amanda, for sharing your treasures of your experience at BYU-I with all of us. We too recognize how special a place it is. You are also special and we believe your experience there has contributed to your specialness. President Eyring used the word unique in describing his experience there 30 some years ago. We are so very proud of you and Jared and the people you are. We love you!

Stephanie Lindsey said...

I miss you! You are so sweet! You are one of the reasons I was supposed to come to Rexburg - no doubt in my mind! You have taught me so much and I am blessed to call you my friend.