Friday, January 14

House Hunting

S in his house-hunting apparel:

Today we went hunting again for a place to call home. We love what we have seen in Reston. What do you think of our 2 favorites?

Choice #1: 2 bed/ 2 bath
Pro's
Freshly painted, new detailed stone flooring and beautiful dimming light fixtures
Beautiful tile details in bathrooms & wood details in bedrooms
Huge wood closet in master bed
Dropped rent, Includes all utilities in rent payment
Two reserved parking spaces
Very convenient to Reston amenities including the Town Center
Woods, lots of trees, open back yard
Stacked washer & dryer in small closet
Parks close by

Con's
No warm carpets, just stone and tile (carpets are important to Jared)
Not so open layout, have to walk through kitchen
No linen closet. a shallow, large "medicine" closet instead, in main hall
Broken, but easily fixed shelf in coat closet
Lots of teens in that community, but the one we talked to was very polite
Racing another VERY interested renter to get this place

Choice #2: 2 bed/1 bath
Pros:
Walk to Reston Town Center & Lake Anne
Inviting condo complex, nicer than choice #1
Granite countertop, maple cabinets, stainless steel appliances, ceramic tile floor in kitchen
Wood burning fireplace
Carpets & tile
Full washer & dryer in a large closet/tiny room
Large master bedroom with walk-in closet
Walk out patio
Club house, pool in summer & exercise room

Con's:
Second bedroom is off living room (Stu would be far from master bed and close to visitor noise)
Carpeted dining room - Jared pointed out
Utilities not included and higher rent

What do you think? Any suggestions for house-hunting renters like us?



7 comments:

Malea said...

That's tough, Manie. The pool and excercise room would really be great, but having utilities included means you can heat and cool to your hearts content without stressing. Plus, two reserved parking spots. Gosh, I honestly don't know! Good luck!

Mom "O" said...

Buy some carpets at Walmart for Jared :) and go with less rent. Then you can always save up more money for your future residence!

Scott and Karin said...

I agree with mom "O"! You can always get area rugs, and cheaper rent with utilities? Go for it!

Deborah said...

I agree with every one else! I say go with the less Rent and buy some rugs. Actually that most important thing to consider is which one is closer to me?! Come one! Priorities people!

Deborah said...

PS. Stu is the cutest little house hunter I have EVER seen!!!

Natalie said...

Pick the one closest to the boonies where we are! Bring that cute little munchkin of yours :)

Amy Jo said...

I have no idea, they both sound great. The second one sounded more like the option I would have gone with. I like the exercise room, etc. But I can't wait to see what you go with! =)