Tuesday, July 19

Graduate School Squared


The next phase of higher education is about to begin. Jared starts his graduate program this fall and I am currently applying. I might be crazy, but I want to go back to school for my Masters of Social Work.
These are my reasons:
  • I am only going to get busier with more kids
  • My BSW allows me to apply for advanced standing MSW programs but only for a limited time
  • I want to have the option to be employed outside the home
  • MSW allows me to earn more money while working part-time
  • I want to contribute both to our finances and to the larger community through employment
  • Working in my kids' schools in the future will allow me to keep in touch with the challenges they might face
  • I love to learn and I like school
Depending on where I get in, I could do one of two programs:
1) online, part-time MSW for 2 years, or
2) on campus, full-time MSW for 1 year

What do you think?
Any moms who are currently in school with babies at home?
Anyone who succeeded in it?
What advice, warnings, or encouragement do you have?
PS. Thank you, Leah, for your comment. You make an excellent point I'd like to address. I am aware of the many contributions stay-at-home mothers give to the community but I failed to acknowledge them. Many mothers in my life, including my own, have contributed countless services to the world; certainly not limited to the contribution of their beautiful families. Women serve in the PTA, at church, as civil servants, teachers, entrepreneurs, friends, mentors, gardeners, keepers of the peace, artists, creators, and many more. As I expressed to my mom yesterday, I plan to contribute in lots of ways, I just want to get payed for some of the service I'm most passionate about. Many women I know contribute to the family finances by saving coupons, making and selling crafts, reselling used items like clothes, or taking on a part-time job. All are fulfilling and productive. Social work is the best way for me right now.

6 comments:

Leah said...

Ask Mimi about schooling with kids, she is doing her masters in family therapy currently. Just a plug as well that Moms who stay at home and raise their children contribute a great deal to society at large although it isn't as cut and dry to see their contributions. You are a great lady, and Stu is so cute... best of luck!

Amanda O. said...

Thank you, Leah. I edited my post with your comment in mind. Thank you for reminding me. I love you!

Scott and Karin said...

I currently take classes online and am pregnant with our fourth. I do take it much slower than I'd like, but eventually I WILL get my bachelors! Though I think I'm going to be 30 before that happens :) I say do it while there is only one or two kids, it gets harder the more you have. I started going back to school after I had Park, our second. I love my life and work as a mom, but I wanted to use my brain in other ways. I needed another outlet, even though I don't plan to go to work anytime soon. It's been really good for me. And I say GO FOR IT! You're awesome! The hardest part is keeping motivated to finish my classes, but that's because I have a full year to finish each class (I usually try to get them done in 3-4 months a piece but it doesn't always happen). I think it'll be easier with a two-year deadline.

da Mamma said...

There is no doubt that stay-at-home Moms contribute to the community by molding and shaping great little citizens. But using the talents and brain God gives you is awesome. We are so proud of you! I love our talks. Go for it! You can do it! Yay for Jared, too!

Adrienne said...

You are amazing. I have absolutely no idea how women work both outside and inside of the home simultaneously but I think you are very wise to get your Master's at this point because I had much more free time when I had one, not so much with two. Good luck!

PS Someday I want to get my Master's as well, the challenge is figuring out a Master's of what. I just really want to have that Master's hood. It is, after all, all about the clothing.

Mimi said...

Go for it! Doing graduate school with a baby is hard but not impossible. Just keep in mind that it will probably take longer than expected, which is totally fine. I go part time and that is very doable for me. The hardest problem I've had is motivating myself when it gets tough and school gets in the way of my primary job in life-being a mother and wife. However, I have felt this is something I need to do so that helps. I am sure you will do very well. You are right, it's only going to get harder when you have more children.