| Could my belly get any bigger? Yes. Yes, it will... |
Back in June I could have gone to a friend's wedding in Colorado, but could not make it for several reasons. I REALLY wanted to go to this wedding and almost turned our little world upside down just to be there, but reason and reality won. See, these two friends above are not like all my other friends. They are practicing Jews and had a traditional Jewish wedding. Anyone who knows about my Maryland days knows that I went to dozens and dozens of bar and bat mitzvahs as a teen, but I had not been invited to a Jewish wedding until this year. Come on friends! More people should have traditional Jewish weddings and invite me.
Just looking at the itinerary for the wedding week made me jump for joy. I absolutely love Judaism, dedicated practicing Jews, and learning from them. Their history is my history. Their scripture is my scripture. Their God is my God; the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And their faith inspires mine.
This picture was taken in MD where we had a post-wedding celebration and the evening moved me. We mingled at the groom's parents' home, where I have lots of good memories as an awkward middle schooler (that is how long I have know the handsome groom). The food was unique and delicious, everyone spoke Hebrew, and we enjoyed a sing-along in Hebrew. The singing had opposite effects on our little children. The guy calmed down and silently watched so intently as everyone sang in a new language. The lady, however, who hadn't moved all evening, was dancing with praise. The father of the groom shared an inspiring speech about his son's growth and relationship with God. And finished with the prayer that the new couple will פרו ורבו, המתחדשים הארץ , multiply and replenish the Earth.
The feelings of that evening included love, joy, peace, gentleness, patience, goodness and faith. No doubt the Spirit was there. (Galatians 5:22-23). I am so happy for the bride and groom and know that together they make the world a better place.
1 comment:
I love that you got to see them, even if not at their wedding! What joy, keeping in touch with your special friends! I wonder if he knows what mya good friend you truly are. I love you, Amanda. Mom
Post a Comment