Monday, January 21

sleepless nights

Several nights this week have gone something like this:

  • Pump milk at 10:30 pm
  • Bed at 11 pm
  • Jared comes to bed at 12 am or later
  • The guy cries out with coughs or nightmares at 2:30 and 3:30 am
  • My body wakes me with anxiety at 4:30 am
  • L woke crying at 5, 6 and 6:30

I am beyond exhaustion. Four months without a solid night's sleep and I am succumbing to illness. We all are at our house. Any given night my sleep is disturbed by my own habitual waking, L crying for her pacifier, S's night terrors or molar pains, someone's illness, or Jared's myriad of noises. Early this morning HE was the one having a nightmare and calling out in his sleep. Not to mention the few days a month I have to get up to welcome the little girl I babysit. She arrives at 6:15.

I struggle settling back to sleep too. My mind is restless and I hear every little creak in the neighborhood. We finally moved L out of our room and I take naps when I can. Anyone have any other suggestions to help me sleep better!?!?


4 comments:

Lisa & Joel said...

We did a sort of "sleep training" with K to take thr pacifier away when she was 4 months old. She was still eating 1-2x a night, so then more sleep training at 6 months.

Have you tried sleeping with white noise at night to help you and Jared? A noisey fan does amazing things! Then monitors for the kiddies.

I'm so sorry, girl! I've done the sleepless nights. I feel for you! It WILL end eventually. Feel free to ask me about the pacifier or feeding sleep training.

Malea said...

I haven't slept more than 5 hours straight for 6 months. With Lily, it was over a year. Your body gets semi-used to it. But, I also where ear plugs, so when I get back into bed, I'm OUT. EARPLUGS! They work.

Jim and Lisa said...

Please call me if you need a nap during the day. I can come over and watch the kids or you can drop them off to play here. J would love someone to play with. I hate nights like that...and mine haven't lasted 4 months straight! Nights that it has been worse I have gone down to the basement to take sleep on the couch. Sometimes a new place helps me.

We have a fan you can borrow if you'd like to try some white noise for you. You could also try a warm bath or shower before bed to help relieve some stress. You could also try drinking a warm drink like chamomile herbal tea.

Adrienne said...

Connor would wake up whenever his binky fell out, and when we took the bink away we feared we would have horrible nights, but in fact they were so much better. He was already a good sleeper but when the bink would fall out it would wake him up, so we started putting him to sleep with the binky and then took it out of his crib once he was asleep and it worked wonders. Sleep is so hard when you go from one child to two. If you do not have to babysit other children I wouldn't, that was the advice my mom passed down to me, although there are circumstances that can make that necesary. XOXO