The other morning our kitchen was covered in a mess. Glass jars filled with restructured pH water, more jars with raw milk, chopped cabbage in a bowl, and yoghurt separating in a dish cloth hanging over a pitcher. Large pots of chicken stock on the stove, more bubbling whole chicken in the crock pot, warming yoghurt in the off-oven, baby food in the blender, and juicer pulp looking for a home.The chaos always makes me feel unbalanced, but I was so proud of myself. I really am trying to develop new food prep skills that combine the principles taught in the cookbook Nourishing Traditions (from the Weston A. Price Foundation) and the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome.) If only I could master the clean-as-you-go skills needed in my kitchen.
Consequently we now have not only the usual chicken stocks, fresh juices, and sauerkraut that we've had in the past, but I made cream cheese, cortido (Latin American sauerkraut), raw milk yogurt, and whey, pictured left to right. The cream cheese and whey are products of just one process, but I did it so I'd have whey for lacto-fermented sauerkraut and fermented grains. Whey cool, right? I'm really, really enjoying the journey that food, health, and biology have ignited within me. Anyone else interested in these topics? We'll learn together!
Any reader who thinks this is weird? It's all good. But people used to eat this way daily and it was great back in the day! "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet. Eating her curds and whey...."
Goldie Locks didn't eat the bears' honey nut cheerios... Nope. She ate their traditional homemade porridge. And I bet mama bear soaked it overnight first. I just want to live like the fairy tale peeps. And why not? I am a princess after all.

1 comment:
I have definitely not done as much as you in the learning to do everything from scratch, but I do have a good book with a title that is something like Cook This, Buy This. It goes through great things to make homemade and great things to buy in the store. I also have been enjoying making my own baby food. I have always been a person who cooks, and I can't have Transfats, so I make a lot with real ingredients. I understand how great it can be to prepare things yourself so I can imagine what you are doing is quite rewarding. I guess I don't understand as much about food as I thought I did because some of what you said you make I didn't even realize were things people ate. I guess I have heard of Whey but don't really know what it is, or what it does, or what it even tastes like, lol. Sounds like some reading is in order for me. :)
Post a Comment