Monday, August 5

food, farm, and fixing


Amazing Russian potato salad!! Thank you to Valentina from our previous ward for the recipe.
Equal parts of:

  1. potatoes, boiled then peeled 
  2. carrots, boiled then peeled 
  3. white northern beans, cooked
  4. dill pickles
  5. canned beets
  6. sauerkraut
Combine all ingredients, add a bit of oil and salt and pepper to taste, and devour!

The sauerkraut made for the distinct flavor and finally I found a recipe that the ENTIRE family loves that uses lots of my homemade sauerkraut. I made a giant bowl and it was gone in two days. All four of us just kept coming back for more. I should share my sauerkraut recipe, and I will...... in another post. :)
Picking raspberries down on the farm. We also took home gleaned broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, and sorrel. During our feather hunt we found a beautiful ostrich feather and two duck feathers that decorate our front porch. We LOVE our farm!

And this beast is the bush in front of the house, in the process of being trimmed to 1/4 its size. I finished after this picture was taken. She is a nasty thing, full of spider/cob webs, bird poop, little white pods that look like larva, and coated with an oily black residue. Any geniuses out there know what plant disease this might be? I cleaned it up with a trim and a power wash, but the residue and webs are back a week later! No other neighbors have bushes with this problem!



5 comments:

Lisa & Joel said...

You sure are on a roll with your posting! Sorry about the icky bush. Yummy fresh foods for the summer are always fun! :) Love staying updated.

da Mamma said...

I googled symptoms you listed: white pods, larvae, black oily residue on bush or shrub. Many things came up, but you clearly have an infestation. You risk losing the whole bush, (after what I read). I couldn't find treatment methods, sorry. I know you won't use pesticides, but soapy water in spray bottle is what I use for house plants when they get afids (sp) on them. This is a much bigger problem, but I would not just do nothing. Do something! HELP! Kill the larvae before they hatch into beetles or whatever they are! Mom

Scott and Karin said...

Silk worms maybe? They are all over the place back east. I'm not sure though! Good luck with that!

Jenn said...

Way to go Amanda! I've also been motivated to clean up outside.

Jim and Lisa said...

We're going to have this tonight for dinner. Hopefully it turns out as yummy as yours!