Sunday, October 14

Happy Birthday, Rachel!

This has got to be one of the latest birthday wishes I have ever given. Two whole months late. Don't hate. Appreciate. I'm sorry for all the birthdays I have missed these 2 months. I am catching up. Wow, I lost track of time and was super focused on the nucleus of my world - the kids and husband. Everything else basically fell to the wayside. But I still love all you birthday lovers.

Here's to my sister-in-law, Rachel. This amazing young woman has recently dumbfounded me AGAIN. She never ceases to surprise and amaze me.

First of all, she is a genius, far more disciplined at teaching herself than I was at 14. At age 12, she was having full conversations with me (a college student) about the intricacies of raising bees and I was basically left in the dust of her intense real-world knowledge. (That's what homeschooling can do for a kid!) She is so smart and gifted.


Second, Rachel knows how to have fun, and with any age group to boot! She can giggle it up with the toddlers and find a game for the guy, or sit and enjoy a religious chat with the adults. She is so flexible, adjustable, and teachable.

Next, she is a tender heart that is close to the Spirit of the Lord. Although she does not wear her heart on her sleeve like some teenage females, she knows when to be tender and emotionally real. In those moments when God is close and emotions are real, so is Rachel. One such moment reminded me of her depth when she was visiting and helping us after L was born. Rachel played a song that she wrote on her guitar, and sang the words for us. In that brief moment, the chaos left the house, peace descended, and her song made us cry. Truth be told, I wept. Thank you for that gift, Rachel. It was so tender for me.

Finally, Rachel loves animals; a gift we do not have in common. I think that's why I admire it. Anyone who is close to these special creatures and can care for, listen to, and bond with God's animals has my admiration!

Happy LATE birthday Rach! I love you so much and thank God we are sisters.

No comments: