- nasal congestion
- latching complications
- a fever
- a butt rash
- a yeast infection
- severe (and I mean severe!) gas pains
- diarrhea
- lots of sweaty crying fits, the kind that saturate her hair and clothes
- mild spit ups
- sleeplessness due to the gas
- and a crazy, sleepless mom
She has been through a lot and I hope she forgets it all very quickly in the weeks to come, as we work to get rid of the gas pain, correct what is causing it, and teach her how to sleep on her own. But it is no small feat for me or her to do all this. I am exhausted and going kind of crazy. I just keep telling myself that this will not last forever, that life will be normal again some day, and that I can do all things in Christ, who strengthens me. And so can L. But it is extremely difficult to remember that scripture when your daughter is screaming from 8 pm to 2 am, you don't know why, and you don't know how to relieve it. Luckily we have made some progress since that day, and I am holding on to hope.
For those wondering what has helped, following a daily routine helps (we follow On Becoming Babywise), and her gas has only been relieved by using the Towle Method of colic management. I am also experimenting with my diet.
Last week she weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces. Her face is getting fatter and changing. She is so cute. I love those rare moments when she is awake, relaxed and staring at my face. Oh, I love to kiss those growing cheeks in those moments.
![]() |
| Doesn't she look like she has such an old, troubled soul in a tiny body? |
I know I am meant to learn something profound from this challenging time, and I'm trying to learn it quickly so we can move on. So far I have learned so much.
Don't judge other parents when their baby is going crazy. We're all doing our best.
Let go of some control. I cannot control my children like I can control other aspects of my world.
Trial and error. Through my errors, poor L has suffered a few trials.
Patience, patience, patience.
Long-suffering.
Love and compassion.
Trust not in the arm of flesh. Trust in the Lord.
Relax.
Take time away and trust others to take my place sometimes.
Let go of being a control freak. That's worth mentioning twice.
I love to learn. I just need to remember that when the method of learning is not my chosen method. But in the end, I love to learn and grow. The Lord will have a humble people, right? Whether I chose to be humble or am humbled by outside circumstances, I must be humble. Blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble.
Together, our family is learning and I am so grateful for L for teaching me. I am sure this is just the beginning of life-long learning that she has to offer. I look forward to learning more from her in the years to come.


2 comments:
I think you have a wonderful attitude Amanda. One of gratitude and deisre to learn whatever the Lord wishes to teach you. That is good. Love you, Mom
Oh honey, I am so sorry. She is beautiful. I wish I could kiss those cheeks.
Post a Comment