Wednesday, May 23

Remodel Success!

Today was incredible! We shopped around and found ourselves a great handyman! We received his information from a trusted source and also shopped around to get estimates on our wood repair, but he was still the winner. He was much more methodical in his estimate and actually assessed the damage thoroughly. Then today, he and his teammate fixed the rotted wood and reinforced the weakened spots for about 1/6th the price of the first estimate we got. Whoa. Love it. 
They were so respectful of our furniture. Our window installers did not cover everything. 



With these guys upstairs working away at fixing the wood, I felt über motivated to get this ugly counter top fixed. I started two days ago, but now it is gone! Finished! 
I focused on detaching the solid piece from the counter

Once the sides were loose, they just popped out

The beautiful mess I found underneath

The guy wearing a "smitten" Jared knitted for our first Valentine's together. At least it was supposed to be a "smitten." I still loved it and love that is serves as a shawl over these bare little shoulders. He was a "farmer" today wearing only a diaper and overalls. 

Back to the counter - the mostly finished product

Isn't this so much better?! The room is more open, the counter more usable, the design more simple. When our handyman saw what I was working on while he patched our big "TV hole" he commented that the precious owners (or the people who did those projects) were crazy. Agreed. Both changes to the house are crazy to me too. 
The nicest part: our new handyman offered to patch up the damaged wall where the fake counter had been for no additional charge! He already had the spackle, dryer, sandpaper, and primer out. It was so generous, so I still paid him a little extra. He was great and has our business in the future. 
I am so excited to have the rot taken care of, the ugly hole patched up, and the counter-wanna-be removed all in one day! Woot!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I am so excited everything is fixed! You are right and it does look SO much better having the faux wall thing gone! I am a little sad I didn't get to help you rip it out, but YAY for you! And YAY for fixing the windows and the hole in the wall! And YAY for finding a fabulous handyman! Love you!

Lisa & Joel said...

It's amazing how that one little counter change made such a huge difference! It looks like you have DOUBLE the counter space and it looks so much more open! I love it. Great job, friend!

Jenn said...

I love all this, but I want to see the TV hole now. You did a great job, and what a nice handyman. I might just have to get his number if we need it in the future.